Bill Douglass has been performing music in the San Francisco
Bay Area since 1965. His work on Double Bass and Bamboo Flute can be heard
in concert, on CD's, on television, video and film. To read a recent interview
Recent Recordings on Bass:
- Musica Divina: "Mysteries- Music for the
Labyrinth Walk at Grace Cathedral"
- Marian McPartland "Live At Yoshi's Nitespot"
- Marian McPartland "A Single Petal of a Rose"
- Marian McPartland "Plays the Music of Mary Lou Williams"
- Tom Waits: "The Black Rider"
- Ian Dogole: "Ionospheres"
- Ian Dogole:"Night Harvest"
- Dmitri Matheny: "Penumbra",
and "Starlight Cafe" with Darrell Grant, piano
- Paula West:"Temptation"
- Paula West:"Restless"
- Shweta Jhaveri (master North Indian vocalist), "Anahita"
- Stephanie Bruce: "The Postcard"
- Gabriela Marrone (with Bill Frisell, Alex Acuña): "Detrás
Other recordings on Bass:
- ECM records: "Rubisa Patrol" and "Desert Marauders"
with Art Lande,piano; Mark Isham, trumpet; Glenn Cronkhite or Kurt Wortman,
drums; Bill Douglass, bass.
- Charlie Byrd, guitar: "Moments Like This"
- Ancient Future: "Asian Fusion" and "World Without Walls"
- "Threedom" with Dave Tidball and Robert Kaufman
Bamboo Flute Recordings: Film work
- "The Black Stallion" directed by Carroll Ballard, music by
- "Never Cry Wolf" directed by Carroll Ballard: music by Mark
- "Dim Sum" directed by Wayne Wang, music by
- "Eat a Bowl of Tea" directed by Wayne Wang, music by Mark
- "1000 Pieces of Gold" directed by Nancy Kelly, music by Gary
- "Stories of the Yuba" directed by Gregg Schiffner
Bamboo Flute Recordings: Television work
- National Geographic Specials: "Reflections on Elephants - Patterns
in the Grass" filmed by Beverly and Dereck Joubert, music by Mark
Bamboo Flute Recordings: Video work
- Rabbit Ears Productions:
"The Emperor's Nightingale" music by Mark Isham
"The Boy Who Drew Cats" music by Mark Isham
"The Five Chinese Brothers" music by Bill Douglass, David Austin
- Cazadero/Aptos Jazz Camp: 1982-1988
- Marin County Arts Grant: public school music program, 1993-94
- Vocal Workshops with Madeline
- Presently on the faculty of "The
Jazzschool" in Berkeley California (Phone 510/845-5373 for info).
Concord, Hamburg, Bremerhaven, Rheims, Bergen, Graz, Russian River, Nyon,
Willisau, Eindhoven, La Jolla, Dallas, Seattle, Montreux, New York, Monterey
- Marion McPartland
- Bobby McFerrin, Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco
- Mose Allison
- Terry Riley
- Art Lande and Mark Isham (Rubisa Patrol)
- Bobby Bradford
Bill Douglass is available for recording and film work,
teaching and concerts on both double bass and bamboo flutes and can be contacted
by email at:
or by phone at 530.273.5489